Tertiary Links With Careers
For entry to tertiary courses - there is now less emphasis placed on subjects studied at school. It is the standard of achievement rather than the actual subjects that gain a student entry to the course of their choice. Of course, there are exceptions - usually with the science based career options, and these need to be researched before final decisions are made.
To assist with decision-making about future options check out the following:
- Career Services website - www.careers.govt.nz
- Talk to the Careers Advisor
- Check the websites of tertiary institutes running the course(s) you are interested in
Glossary of Terms:
PTE - Private Training Establishment - set up by individuals rather than the Government. Many of their qualifications are recognised by NZQA.
ITO - Industry Training Organisation - all areas of business and industry have an ITO, which is responsible for training in its industry.
IMPORTANT - PLEASE NOTE:
Aim for more credits than “minimum”
• To ensure that you are competitive with other applicants
• To ensure that you achieve the minimum number of credits required
Achievement for entry into training options:
Be aware, tertiary institution courses will rank using a grade point average;
“Excellence” grade is ranked higher than a “Merit” grade, which is ranked higher than an “Achieved” grade.